Adai dosa recipe - is a famous, healthy and tasty South Indian dosa recipe. Adai dosa / ada dosa is prepared for breakfast. It is made with a combination of rice and lentils. It is filling and healthier than the regular dosa. It is a protein-packed dish and can be served for breakfast or for dinner. Ada avial is a very famous combination.
Adai dosa should neither be too thick nor too thin. Another advantage of this dosa is that there is no fermentation required which saves the time. You can just soak all the dal together, grind it and immediately make dosa. Perfect adai are those which are not too hard or not too soft. Take care to keep the flame in high while pouring the batter, and then reduce the flame to medium, until the adai gets cooked well.
The batter for adai dosa should be coarsely ground. You can grind rice and dal separately or together. But while grinding take care that the batter should be coarse not too soft. If the batter is soft, then you will not get crispy adai.
Adai dosa will be slightly orangish in color due to the addition of dry red chilies. My mom usually adds 7 - 8 red chilies, but I have reduced the number of chilies as I have to give to my kids.
You can also add finely chopped cabbages, drumstick leaves or grated carrots to the adai batter. This makes it more healthy.
Other similar recipes:
1. set dosa
2. masala dosa
3. idli recipe
4. Idli in mixie
5. rava dosa
ADAI RECIPE - ADA DOSA RECIPE
Adai dosa recipe - Ingredients
- raw rice - 1 cup
- idli rice - 1 cup
- kadala paruppu / bengal gram dal - 1/4 cup
- urad dal - 2 tablespoons
- toor dal - 2 tablespoons
- green chili - 2
- dry red chili - 3 - 4
- peppercorns - 1/2 teaspoon
- ginger - one small piece
- cumin seeds / jeera - 1 teaspoon
- shallots (small onion ) - 3 - 4
- asafoetida powder / hing - 1/4 teaspoon
- salt- to taste
- oil - as required for making dosa
To add in batter
- shallots (small onion) - 10 - 15
- curry leaves - few (chopped)
- coconut bits - 1 tablespoon (optional)
How to make adai dosa
1. Wash and soak rice and dal together for 2 - 3 hours.
2. Add green chilies, dry red chili, peppercorns, cumin seeds and ginger to a mixer jar and grind it coarsely.
3. Then drain the water from soaked rice and dal, and add the rice dal mixture to the mixie. Add little water and grind it. (Add less water. Don't grind too much. When you touch it, it should be coarse)
4. Transfer the batter to a bowl. Add chopped shallots, curry leaves, hing and salt to the batter and mix well. Add little water if necessary. The batter should not be runny nor too thick. Keep it aside.
5. Heat the dosa tawa. When hot enough, add a ladleful of batter to the tawa and spread it in a circular motion. Drizzle little oil around the edges and in the center. Keep the flame in medium.
7. Transfer the dosa to a serving plate.
Hope you liked this post. Do leave your comments, suggestions and views in the box given below. This will keep me motivated.
Enjoy cooking and serving